Task Layout
Sadly, we have almost reached the end of this course and have begun our last unit which is sculpturing. Our first task for this unit was to make a basic human figure made out of silver wire. In the requirements for our wire figure we must use or wire to create volume and use paper to create mass. We started off with a basic body made out of wire which include a head, arm, land legs. We created volume by circling our wire along our legs, stomach, arms etc to portray a sense of layers of skin (fat and muscle) along with a and a 3-dimensional effect instead of just a dimensional arm.
Inspiration for The Movement on My Wire Figure
We began the class experimenting with different possible poses to base our sculpture on by asking different students to react a certain pose while the other students sketched it. This was partly amusing but mainly helpful as I started to think about different possible poses i could make my sculpture do. However, when the time came I decided to sculpt my wire figure in a way where its position was the dabbing position, a famous modern day dance move. The dab is where you simultaneously drop your head while your arm gets raised, it is been noted to resemble a person sneezing. Here is a picture of the dance move "dab." However as for the legs I decided to lift it up only because I felt both legs down were a bit too boring.
Challenges
We created mass by covering our paper with different colored paper mache. However, it was easier said thAn done, first we had to collect different colored paper. Then we had to dip it into a glue liquid and then we had to plaster it onto our wire figure. This is when I started struggling to put this paper on as every time I would paste it onto my wire the wire would go through the paper and holes would appear. Another challenged I faced was creating volume on my wires legs as every time I tried to circle it around one and another it would end up not looking perfectly round and have dents in the wire.
Successes
However at the end when I got the hang of gluing the paper I found it very easy and successful to add mass to my wire sculpture. I was mostly proud of my color choice as I feel the variety of colors on my wire symbolise dance as an art because there are so many types of dance (contemporary, hip hop, lyrical etc) that display different moods whether it is a sad mood or a happy one, colors can resemble each mood and genre. That is why I picked the certain colors of paper on my wire figure.





No comments:
Post a Comment