Tuesday, 10 May 2016

Abstract Nylon Sculpture



Introduction 
Today we started our second project in the sculpture unit. The moment I saw a tea plot, wires, and a pantyhose I knew it would be interesting. We started this project with a plant pot, then we were told to stick wires into them and create a sculpture with the wires with differentiated towards the pot. Then if we wanted too, we were allowed to spray paint our sculpture a certain color. And off course, I could not miss the opportunity to use spray paint bottles so I spray painted mine blue with patches of red. Then we got thread and sewed different parts of our nylon sculpture, the parallel lines created a unique effect to my sculpture. I decided to sew red thread onto my sculpture as it matched the red patches on my blue object.

Volume & Mass
You may be wondering how we applied basic concepts like volume and mass which we learn in math, into art class. Well, it is simple! Using the wires we were meant to create volume by twisting our wires in a way where it bulged out which when you put a pantyhose over it as it creates this 3D volume effect. We applied the mass aspect everytime we added more and more wire to our pot.

Challenges 
However in order to secure the certain circular shapes of our wire we needed to twist it and attach it onto the wire so it is sturdy enough to not move when covered with the pantyhose. I struggled with this as every time I twisted the ends of my wire onto the pot to secure the wire, the twists would be too loose resulting in the wire being very easy to move around and even slide down.

Success
A success I had was with the spray paint on sculpture, I was able to apply a lot of creativity and choice onto the colors I choose. This enabled me to use my imagination and skill of thinking outside the box to decide what colors I should use. Although it may have been a success, I consider it more fun than successful as my colors did run on to each other as I ended up applying too much spray paint in certain areas. However, this turned out to be the best mistake I had made because it actually creates an ombre effect onto my sculpture which now that I look back looks stunning.


No comments:

Post a Comment