Wednesday, 2 March 2016

Self-Portrait Drawing & Observed Self Drawing

Grid Technique Self Portrait 
Background :
As our third project during the drawing unit we were asked to draw a portrait of yourself using the grid technique on a 8x6 grid paper. We were first asked to take a headshot of ourselves and edit the composure so we could find the bright and dark parts of our face which added tonal variation to our drawing. In this portrait, we needed to include all our basic facial features such as our eyes, nose, ears, chin, mouth, eyebrows, and hair. However, the actual project started with me grabbing a ruler, a print out of my face (black and white), a blank white sheet of paper, and a pencil. Then we had to transfer what I saw in the photo, block by block onto my paper. As for materials used, during this whole project I used a 2b pencil to draw/shade in my face, and a blending stick to blend in the different tones together.
Materials Used : Overall I quite enjoyed the grid technique as it was a lot more straightforward than the mirror drawing in the sense that it was easier to draw the specific features on my face accurately because each block allowed me to part of my facial features belonged there. For example, the block (E4) only focused on the thicker beginning part of my eyebrow which began in the middle of the block (height) and worked its way down to the half (length) mark on my paper. Not to mention it also allowed me to find the exact measurements and alignment of my facial features in the block ex. my eye 2 cm up from the bottom of the blocks line.
Challenges & Successes :
However one of the challenges I faced during this project was drawing my nose in a way where it looks realistic as I often draw the edges of my nose connecting to my face; however, in reality the line outlining our noses are shadows are not connected to our face as our nose points out. To be more specific, I struggled with shading in the outline of my nose in way where it didn't look like a dark line. On the other hand, I found shading tonal variation over my face to be a success because when looking at the printed out picture I already knew where to put my dark and lights, so all I had to do was implement the colors on the picture onto my face. This made it easier for my picture to look realistic as it created contrast and variation on my face.
Here is an actual photo of me, this can help you compare the reality of my grid self-portrait. I feel in terms of my eyes I should have made the circles underneath darker or at least created a shadow or tone below my eyes to make it look more realistic. However in terms of the lips I feel I really captured the arch of my lips and the overall shape of it, so I am happy about that! 




Observed Drawing Self Portrait

Background :
For this project we were told to put a mirror in front of us and draw our face using our reflection from the mirror. Although this felt arbitrary at first, once learning some facts about our facial alignments I was able to successfully draw myself. Some of the facial alignments facts were that the top of the ears meet the top of the eyes, the end of the mouth meet the center of the eyes, the ends of the nose line up with the inside ends of the eyes, the bottom of the ears meet the tip of the nose, the eyes are located at the middle height of the head, and lastly, five eyes can fit across our head and the second last & first eye is where our real eyes should be placed.



Challenges & Successes :
During this project, I faced some highs and downs such as struggling with drawing my eyes in proportion to one and other, but succeeded in drawing my mouth. I struggled with drawing my eyes as every time I attempted to draw them, I focused on making them seem big and animated as I hoped they were, but once I started actually focusing on the mirror and started directly drawing what I saw I started to get the real curves of my eyes and shadows surrounding it. My eyes started to come alive as I shade the bags under my eyes and the eyelashes below them as that is what I saw when looking at the mirror. Once I finished doing that I was rewarded with two realistic and lively eyes on my portrait drawing. I found success in my overall painting as I felt after all the adjusting and reinforcing I do to it, It realistically and accurately displayed my face.


No comments:

Post a Comment