During these few weeks of World Studies, we were asked to find a poem on the Poetry Out Loud website to recite and memorize using both emotion and mood. After looking through many types of poems from haikus to free verse, I finally found the poem "Mamma Said" by Calvin Forbes. The reason I choose Mamma Said was because the moment I read it this clear mood of anger and regret sunk through the word of the poem, so I decided it would be easy to learn how to recite this poem if I already knew the tone the author was trying to portray. However, it took more than just reading it to find the deeper meaning of my poem, every stanza I had to break up and analyze it. I had to analyze it by looking at the diction used, poetic devices used (metaphors, personification, alliteration etc), and the repetition used to help me find the deeper tone and meaning of my poem. After working on peeling my poem to find its deeper meaning, I had to use the emotions I found to recite my poem in an angry way which included variation of pauses, volume, and the speed of my voice. This all came into play on the day I actually recited my poem, I was proud of the fact that I was able to include many short pauses after phrases like (I know it wasn't literal cake..... but its the thought the counts) and long pauses such as (I hope you are a fool....... all your life). I was also able to show voice inflection display a tone and facial expressions, for example when I said "I wish I had saved just a little bit" I had used a hand gesture to show little and my face displayed regret by frowning. Overall, I wish I had articulated more towards the end on words such as cake, shop; but otherwise, I am very proud of my outcome for this Poetry Out Loud.
No comments:
Post a Comment